Sunday, February 7, 2010

By Request from a very constipated little friend

Anyone who knows me well has probably heard multiple stories of my kid's and their poop. So for all you poor people out there skip over this one! And those who haven't heard, I'll make it nice and short.

When my kids were babies they had a horrible time passing poop and no kid on the planet had a more fiber-full diet then they did. (Aren't you glad you're reading this post!)
When toddler-hood came around we'd spot them all red and sweaty in a corner (always crying) and rush them to the potty! We've endured hours by the toilet comforting and helping them through their poo poo contractions. Which is why I now know I would never want to be a midwife! Way too tiring! It's like, what do you say besides push? That gets old really fast!
We went to one Dr. visit after another and nothing they suggested would ever really help. One time we fed Spencer an 8 ounce warm bottle of prune juice.... and NOTHING happend! 
We've seriously tried everything under the sun to help our lil' guys.
Luckily we've narrowed down the problem and they are doing fine, if kept to a poop everyday routine.

I've been asked to help a poor little constipated friend. And I figure there has gotta be more Mamma's out there struggling with this POOP problem!
  Hopefully this will help!   
I came up with this recipe about a year ago, and it's a MUST for my kid's to eat everyday for smooth sailing. It's really helped them stay regular and it's sooo yummy!
Ingredients:
Cereal: Puffed rice (I get mine from whole foods, it's like $1.79 for a big bag)
Oats                                                                                              
Pitted prunes cut up into little pieces                                         
Flaxseed meal                                                                              
                   freeze dried blueberries or whatever kind of dried, or fresh fruit you want

Syrup: 1/3 stick of butter                                                                                       
Half a cup of Agave Nectar                                                            
Half a cup of honey                                                                          
Pinch of salt                                                                                     
1 tsp. Vanilla extract                                                                        

Mix together the cereal ingredients in a large bowl.
Melt butter in a small sauce pan and add the rest of the syrup Ingredients. Boil on medium till the syrup gets frothy and pour the syrup over the cereal. Mix well.
Preheat your oven to 375.
Spray a large casserole dish with olive oil and put the cereal in the dish.
Put the cereal into the oven for about 5 mins, till the top is a little crispy.
Let it cool down completely, and put it in a sealed container and keep it in the fridge. 
Pour into bowls and eat just like regular cereal!! It's good!
But BEWARE! Limit your kid's to about 3 bowls, or you'll be wishing they WERE constipated. :)
                                                           
                                                                                     


4 comments:

Alys said...

So as I was reading this post, Harrison pooped and the pee leaked through everything including my leg. Anyway, I am glad you are back to posting. I will have to remember this little recipe if this problem runs in the family.

And, I totally know how helpful a washer and dryer are now, too. I used to just do laundry once or twice a week. Now, it is pretty much every day.

Also, I love that Noah has turned to Star Wars now. Sean has tons of Star Wars toys in original packaging. I wonder if he will ever let Harrison open them.

Happy birthday, too. I'm sure you will post about it later.

Now I must go dress Harrison. This will be the 3rd outfit today and it is only 12:45.

The Andersons said...

We have poo problems too! Well, Evan does anyway. LOL! Thanks for the recipe. We have been giving him lots of juice, which I don't really like because of all the sugar. I'll have to try it out!

amy and adam said...

I made the cereal and BOTH my boys loved it! Today, Adam was asking me to make more! We don't have the constipation problem (thank goodness) but this recipe sounded fun and easy and HEALTHY! Thanks BABE!

jazmine said...

I will have to remember this when Jade gets a little older....we have to give her prunes and prune juice everyday, and still have problems. The recipe sounds yummy!!